Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
underwood

Originally Posted by bragi View Post
But many/most/all of the stories on the ACoA book involve kids who realized their parents were drinking, and wouldn't want people to come home and whatnot.
Also I feel my story is unique in that it was mostly my mom (though my dad drank and was absent and made promises he didn't keep and wasn't involved in my life), and it was mostly emotional abuse.
This subject is a difficult one for me in that I see my own children reflected in the first part of the quote. My children were/are deeply embarrassed by their AF and cringe if he is present around their friends....I on the other hand have been guilty of pretending and smoothing things over like this was not really happening which made me resentful and angry at everyone and anyone that was present. That was before I recognized and admitted that I was enabling from my weak actions and not owning what was really taking place and protecting my children. I hope that one day I will be able to verbalize how sorry I am for the coverup and the pain that I inflicted just by ignoring their pain. Your words indicate that there was alcohol abuse that caused you pain and confusion. Hope this helps.