Old 04-23-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bragi

Just now realizing parents were alcoholic; confused; now what?

Hi everyone,

Tonight I've been reading Janet Woititz's Adult Children of Alcoholics, and while some things hit home, others don't because my experiences differ from her examples. So I'm a little confused.

For example, I'm just now (I'm 27 years old), in the past couple years, realizing that my mother (and possibly my father as well) was and is an alcoholic, for most of my life. But I didn't realize it. All I knew was that she was "different at night"; she drank at night and became a different person, and to this day I won't interact with her at night because I don't feel like I'm interacting with a real person that will fully remember anything the next day.

Anyway, my mom would flip out and guilt us and act like we were a ****** family and were terrible to her -- and blame my dad for a lot of things, and fight with him a lot.

But many/most/all of the stories on the ACoA book involve kids who realized their parents were drinking, and wouldn't want people to come home and whatnot.

Also I feel my story is unique in that it was mostly my mom (though my dad drank and was absent and made promises he didn't keep and wasn't involved in my life), and it was mostly emotional abuse.

So I'm wondering if anyone can contribute anything, or relate to this story, or direct me to some resources -- or clear me up on this issue! I'm sure there are things I'm not seeing.

Thanks so much!