View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
abcdefg

I think what everyone has said here about taking the time it takes is so important. You've been through a lot and recovery, which includes letting go of resentments, is a process that takes time. If, as warrens said, there is trauma involved (and often there is with active drinking/using) then you will need whatever time you need. Anyone who is pressuring you about that is doing so only for their own selfish, manipulative purposes (although it may be totally unconscious and unintended to be hurtful).

It took me a very, very long time to understand that letting go of resentment would actually HELP me.

I thought that if I let go of my resentment (in other words, if I stopped punishing you for or letting you know with my anger how much you had wronged me with your awful past behavior) I would be CONDONING what you did.

I had to get into a very spiritual place to realize that it's not up to me to be punishing or pardoning anyone.

I don't know if any of that is going on for you (it mostly sounds like it's just too soon) but if anyone on the thread can relate, I just wanted to share it.