Thread: Screw up
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
warrens

TFC

The reason I even decided to drink last night, was because my friend wanted to hang out and drink.
Are you SURE that was the reason? It is my experience that the reason for drinking comes from within me. By attributing my drinking to something external makes me powerless over more than alcohol. And that is too scary. I'd have to stay in bed all day.

Every relapse brings with it new knowledge, I think. They can make us more powerful. Not over alcohol, but over ourselves. While I don't have proof, I'd be willing to bet that most with rock solid recoveries didn't get there on their first attempt. There is too much "learning" that needs to occur.

I am confident that you will do well, TFC. I'm not going to tell you what to do and not to do. Except for this: learn from it. Ask yourself, "What do I know now that I didn't yesterday?" If you do that I think you will have an even stronger recovery than if you hadn't relapsed. Learning is defined as change that occurs over time. What will you change? Or will you do the same thing over and over and...

I think I know what you will do. You didn't get where you are without learning.

Get up, dust yourself off, and do something different.

Best to you!

warren