Thread: Screw up
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
fallingdown

TFC: I too can relate, some of my dearest friends are also heavy drinkers (imagine that) but when you love someone, it's hard to let them go. SO I don't know about you, but I got desperate enough to look some of them in the eye and say, "It's a night of fun for you, but a matter of life and death for me." Kind of puts it in perspective for them. I don't think you have to ditch your friends as long as they are respectful of your situation. There are still fun things to be done sober such as going to movies, using the money you've saved from not drinking to treat yourself and a friend to a fabulous dinner, playing board games, or just going for coffee. I can tell you that it is interesting to get to know people again without the aid and lubrication of alcohol. Some of them you'll still want to hold dear, and others you might see in a totally different light. 8 days is a really impressive stretch. I hope you don't let one relapse hold you back. I don't know if you go to any group meetings but if so, maybe you can bring a close friend with you so they can kind of get an idea of the scope of the problem. I do wish you luck!