View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Conez

just back to topic of cravings, i found useful info in the alcoholism forum in a thread titled
*Medication? Need to Reduce Craving.
in my earlier post, my idea of temporary reducing cravings with a sweet treat on hand may not be so helpful... reading in this other thread its mentioned... sugar may increase cravings.
anyone with info about sugar n cravings would be helpful...

so sure diet and medications come into factor with these cravings...

Hope45 its worth taking a look at this thread... i'm unsure how to do the direct link thingy...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-craving.html
(fingers crossed i got it right)

Anyways the info in that forum has a bit to do with meds but myself prefering alternative methods esp with anxiety/depresssion which leads to cravings for alcohol's quick fix.
I've used meds short term for home detox along with counselling, isolated myself from AA meetings for a week but stayed sober.
recommended by my Dr i've started anti-depressants. personally i've got my reservations with using these types of meds. this is a lil off topic and mentioned in my threads n previous posts. so i leave it there.

Anyway point being
i don't want be dependant on any substance. choices i have to get my self well(@day12desire is there, then baulking scared of changes of what lies ahead)

best advice from people in recovery here @SR or AA, my Dr and counsellor....
involving mostly with changing old habits n ways of thinking in pracitcal ways without medications or any substances.

*exercising/get out of the house (other than the basic obligation to do errands etc), even if its just a walk round the block with a cig in hand... something to bring u calm.
at least the sunshine will do u good. i heard for basic wellbeing we need at least 10mins sunshine a day, more is better but 10mins vs none at all.

*choose a recovery program, if it be AA, NA, counselling, psychologist etc. as much support as u need. this may be a helpful alternative

* all the other methods.... deep breathing, meditation, warm baths/cold showers, taking up a hobby, music etc. think we may be lookin at another thread (or starting one)

"changing old habits n ways of thinking in pracitcal ways without medications or any other substances."

Well that was my rant, new to all this, i'm seekin the same answers/help/support....
SR is a blessing with all those who share.. thanks Hope45.:ghug