Thread: Hi I'm new too
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HideorSeek

Hi I'm new too

Hi Everyone!

First, I would like to say what an inspiration this forum has been for me. The love, support and advice just burst from the monitor!

Anyways, a little about me. Basically, I have always been an alcoholic. I have more family genes for it than I do for brown hair. Although I have been drinking (moderately) for many years, it really became evident that I had a problem about 5 years ago. That's when I started hiding it and lying about it to my family. Approx. 2 years ago, they pulled the plug and gave me no alternative but to go to AA. I would love to say that it worked from the start, but I have been a constant relapser. I think probably because it wasn't my choice to go to AA (I hate to be told what to do...sound familiar??) and also because I have historically thought that I SHOULD quit drinking, not that I WANT to quit drinking. As far as AA goes, I have a very hard time opening up and asking for help and being honest about my struggles. Anyways, this last last Sunday was it for me. To quote a common phrase "I am sick and tired of being sick and tired." If I continue to drink, I will lose my family, my health and the really wonderful life I am blessed to have. I don't know why this time I feel differently...I just hope it will last. I love the thread of "2 weeks or less" and will monitor and post on this forum everytime I feel sketchy. I feel like this forum is going to be invaluable for me. Again, i pray that it will be. As far as my screen name...I thought about it and I have a choice...either I can continue to hide (something I've done my whole life), or I can begin to seek and realize my potential as a human being.

Thank you all for reading this and for being there for me and others!