View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
hello-kitty

Hi Bluebelle. It's a great idea to lock up the meds. I used to steal pills from my mom :-( . I just couldn't help myself. The addiction, the pull - was just too great to have something so tempting laying around in front of me. I wasn't even a pill addict, I was a coke addict, but we addicts have a tendency to use anything when we need to escape reality. It's called substitution. If we can't get our hands on our drug of choice, we'll take whatever we can. I just can't be trusted. I can't even trust myself. I appreciate the help my family gives me by not putting their meds in a place that I can reach them. Out of site, out of mind so to speak. It's embarrassing but true.

That's really great that your husband was able to quit using codeine but if he is taking pills that aren't prescribed to him or taking the ones that are prescribed to him in a way that is abusive, he's still in active addiction. That may be ok for you. But I just wanted to put that out there. And if he's not in a recovery program or seeing a drug counselor or something, then I think you are smart to be worried about relapse. However, you can't stop him from relapse. You can draw good boundaries, and prepare yourself mental emotionally and financially for one and then put it in Gods hands and let go.