View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Buzz Kilowatt

Originally Posted by samsung View Post
THE WORST PART:

I started a long distance relationship over the phone with a girl....the first 4 months (the entire time i known her) i built the relationship with her while i was using. I felt normal and things were OK on pills....i was really overly open, overly loving and not myself.....now, I'm off the pills and its like having ice water poured all over the relationship, because now i feel like I'm not the person she "meet" and i must imagine she is wondering what is wrong. Because I obviously have been in w/ds and totally mind f***ked from it. I feel bad over this. I felt like a lie the whole time. But i care and im striving to get better and am committed to this.

WHen can i expect the mentals to come back like they were before the addiction? Tell me what you think, I dont care if youre no doctor...tell me something!

Thanks- samsung

any thoughts?

Oh Samsung, it is not all that simple.

First of all, in withdrawal, you are -- by definition -- not in your normal state of mind. Don't trust your judgment at this point, and don't spin your wheels and fret needlessly.

Everyone is different, but for me, the 1st week is the worst. After the 2nd I can really see that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the approaching train after all . . .

As far as your girlfriend is concerned, take a break from the relationship if you can, for the 1st week at least. You are just too fragile right now.

Then . . . if you can . . . try coming back into the relationship "from nowhere." Let yourself learn about her. At the same time, permit yourself to learn about YOU.

You see, hydro, etc. dulls the emotions. It sequesters the heart. It's nearly impossible to truly grow in heart or spirit while you are addicted.

Addiction is the tip of the iceberg; it is a symptom of an underlying spiritual disease; a sub-acute existential crisis. Once you take a minute to look at the spiritual side of addiction, you will start to see things much more clearly.

Good luck, amigo!

Buzz