Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
So Cal

fluffy,,,here are some of my posts from a different thread on suboxone,,,,hope they help=================,,,Have you done some research on sub besides this forum??,,there is alot of info on the internet.,,,different forums have different feelings about sub.,,,some are advocates and some are against it.
It's really a personal decision,,,and sometimes it may turn into just trading one addiction for another and then there are cases such as my own that was really a life or death decision.
Im 51 yrs old and have been addicted to opiates and any drug and alchohol,,i was a die hard and spent most of my life in prison or on the streets doing crimes to support my habit.,,In 2004 i od'd again for the millionth time,,in the 70's i ended up on dialysis because my kidneys shut down,and the latest od left me in a coma for almost a month on life support,,,after being out of the hospital a few weeks believe it or not i still went back to opiates,,few months later after another overdose i was placed in a mental health facility against my own will.,,the state commited me,,and i went right from the ER to the nut hut.
It was there that i learned about suboxone and my sister was more or less in the same situation as you because she was trying to help me but she wasnt sure sub was the right way to go.
but anyway ,,long story short,,i was put on sub and i really believe i would have died if we hadnt went the sub route.,,ive been on it almost 4yrs now.
Basic things to know about sub are=,you wont feel a high the same as other opiates but you may have more energy the first few months or it could affect you the other way around =less energy,,,everyone is different,,,Sub does take away cravings because it has an opiate in it so you can concentrate on getting your life together but also remember because it does have an opiate in it that you cant just cold turkey with sub or you will go into wd's as you would any other opiate,and when you want to get off there are alot of different opinions as to how hard it is.,,some compare it to methadone and some say its easy if you taper off it slowly.,,,====Also alot of people say it just makes you feel normal,,,and are very defensive of sub and dont like to admitt it makes you feel BETTER than normal,,i mean i felt good for a year and a half,,but not high in the traditional sense and i really believed i was just feeling what a normal person feels.,,presently i dont feel as i did back then but the sub still stops the cravings so i dont even think about taking another opiate,,and also sub acts as a blocker so that even if i decided to get high tody it wouldnt work and i wouldnt feel anything because the sub would block it.
I wont give you advice on whether or not your son should be on sub,,like i said its a personal decision with alot of different factors involved.
Anyway,,i hope ive been of some help.

Tattoo Tommy

your son should also check out different sub sites before he makes a decision.