View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR and to our mental health forum. Good to see a new face.

I have not been able to watch horror movies since I was a small child. I have enough nightmares without adding to them with something hollywood made up. I used to sleep with a hunting knife on the headboard of my bed I was so afraid at night. If I had not been afraid to buy a gun because of my suicidal tendancies when depressed and anxious I would have slept with a loaded gun there. Thank God, I didn't keep a gun in the house though. The statistics show that a person is more likely to be shot with their own gun even if an intruder comes in than if they didn't have one in the first place. If you have nightmares I strongly suggest do not watch horror movies. It only makes them worse. Although in our logic mind we know that they are just made up, fake, things it can still leave us feeling scared, frightened, unsafe, and alone inside. You are definately not alone in these feelings. Do remember they will pass. Try going for a walk, read a book, exercising, something to distract your mind and give it time to let it fade. Hang in there although it doesn't feel like it right now, this too shall pass. No more scary movies though please.