View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ksos
Waiting For Engines

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Trying to taper down off of methadone is no picnic. You are *going* to crave and have thoughts of using while you're going through the process. Don't feel bad, it happens to everyone.

One thing I would like to suggest is this: Stop tapering down for a while. Accept the situation that you're in, you have to work at the moment, etc. Rather than worrying about getting off the stuff right now, why not just work your @ss off, save up some money, and then try to get yourself into a position where you can take a month off of work and go check in somewhere? Yeah, it'll suck kicking methadone in rehab, but I'll tell ya what ... you gotta a LOT better chance of pulling it off there. And when it's done, you're gonna have a very valuable experience under your belt.

Personally I think that approach makes a lot more sense than trying to taper down and eventually (ostensibly) quit methadone while you're going on about your life and working and all that. Because 'all that' ... is damn near impossible to pull off. All you're gonna end up doing is getting yourself fired, and/or back on dope eventually. Get real, and don't try to be superman. That's my best advice.

You know, when I read this, I felt like I was talking to my sponsor who thinks what I plan to do with looking for jobs, looking for rehabs, not telling my pain doc that I am truly feeling my pancreatic pain, is crazy.

bvaljalo. I am seeing my pain doc tomorrow before a big interview, because I cannot live being unemployed much longer. I have about 2 weeks worth of benefits and then it's all over. I am so anxious about this that I am going to ask him if he can give me a non-narcotic agent to ease my pain and the withdrawals. You're right. I am nuts to be doing all this and I go to meetings and the folks all tell me that I am just setting myself up for a fall...

I also was going to ask my doc if he could not drop me any more right now, as I already went from 150 to 90 MG this month...I may be a coward, but that is way too much for me...

I really should have never agreed to this pain management stuff to begin with, since I know I am an addict, but my disease plus the very real pain, somehow got lost in the shuffle.

Now, I am really in agony, and I cannot receive the standard treatment for this condition. I wish I were like a normal person who could take a pill the way it was prescribed...

Thems the breaks, I guess!