Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ksos
Waiting For Engines

Hi and thanks for posting your current situation. I just have a couple of thoughts....I am on a taper of methodone right now since I was sort of "taking" a bit more than I should have, too.

At this time, I would think your Doctor would not be too open to listening to your "self-prescribing" dosing thoughts surrounding the raising of your methodone right after you took twice as much as you were supposed to. I do not know you, but I think that you are looking more for a buzz than pain relief, for there are adjuntive medicines that are often combined with methodone which would enhance the pain management of your condition. Yet, I believe that your MD is not a pain management doctor, as you mentioned that she is your physician. Also, from what you wrote about previously being in a methodone clinic, I am assuming that you have had a prior substance abuse problem. If I am wrong, please forgive me.

My suggestion would be to NOT discuss with your doctor your own ideas of methodone titration. If I heard you do this, I would immediately think you were drug seeking, and, to be honest, what do you think you are doing? Rather, if you truly are in the amount of pain you are in, talk with your MD about the level of pain you are still in. He/she is the one who can make the "right" decision in terms of what would alliviate your pain.

No one here can tell you that you are "not right" for pain management treatment or methodone. What I can tell you is that you should present the issue of pain instead of focusing on methodone. By "raising" your methodone on your own or asking for an increase of that particular drug, you will risk being considered a drug seeking addict, rather than a concientious patient looking for relief.

PS: Pain Management practices are required to have all of their patients who are on scheduled II controlled substances like methodone or oxycontin, to be tested for other controlled substances. For the first three years I was on methodone, I NEVER was tested. I am now tested once every three months, and my MD found out I was also being prescribed other scheduled drugs which I "accidently forgot" to tell him about.

Good luck and I didn't mean to offend you by my assumptions, but your own reported history seems to lead to what I expressed....:sorry