View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

Yes, AA is still court ordered.

As an alcoholic/addict who attends meetings almost on a daily basis, usually at the meeting I regularly attend there are at least a half dozen individuals there with their court slips to be signed. There are others there with slips from treatment centers that require so many meetings a week too.

I can only hope that something in the meeting will stick with at least one of those people. No, I don't think that by forcing someone to go to AA is going to necessarily get someone to come to the immediate conclusion that they are an alcoholic/addict and get clean & sober and into Recovery right then.

I had been in and out of the rooms of AA/NA since 1980 before I finally can say I am in Recovery since July of 2005. Yes, during some of my in and out periods, I had to go with my little paper for the courts or a treatment center and at times I hated it. But I know now, I just wasn't ready then. I hadn't suffered enough. I hadn't hit by bottom. But there are people that left an impact on me from those meetings. As a matter of fact, I saw a oldtimer about a month ago who said somethings at meetings that I hated when I had to go to meetings for my probation officer. He would begin to speak and I would use that opportunity to go to the bathroom. When I saw him a while back, it brought back many memories. But this time, they were of respect for this man. He had said the things that I DID NOT want to hear. He was confirming, way back when, that I was an alcoholic and I could not ever drink again. Not one drink. I couldn't stop after those.

I had to chuckle when you said that there were some scary looking people there outside of the meetings.Please don't judge a book by it's cover. Some of my best friends are leather clad, hard core looking people who loudly blow in on their bikes who are some of the most peaceful and serene individuals in the Program. Looks are deceiving.All the years that I was suffering, I put on the front and by my appearance I was so happy, life was beautiful. I dressed what would be considered business casual, hair perfectly in place, make up just right and a constant smile on my face. Inside, I was a dark, lost, scared and angry person. Once again, looks are deceiving.

Thanks for your post. This is one that should get some great feedback and have alot of different opinions on. I love a post where people can voice their opinions in a safe atomosphere where there will be no judging. This is a great way for someone to gain confidence in speaking their opinions. Alot of alcoholics/addicts are scared to death to begin to open up.

God Bless & Thank God . . . Just for Today,
Judy