Old 03-19-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
hope4always

You made the right choice if for no one else but your kids.

There’s only one thing else you need to do for yourself and that is to realize that he is *not* a “wonderful man with a problem”; what he is *is* a man with a crack addiction. Crack addiction is by far just a “problem”, and the guy you fell in love with is the guy he wants you to *believe* he is.

He didn’t call anyone in NA because he didn’t want anyone to talk him out of using – And it isn’t that he *can’t* recover, it’s he doesn’t *want* to recover no matter how many times he’s told you through tears that he doesn’t want to use anymore. I’m guessing he’s a binge, or cyclic, user as this is very typical behavior for one.

The only reason I bring this to your attention is just because you may have decided you no longer want to be a couple, if you don’t see him for who he *really* is and continue to see him as somehow being a “great guy with a problem” or maybe a victim, you are setting yourself – and your kids - up to be suckered right back in. It is very likely in two weeks, or two days or six months from now he’ll show up at your door, maybe having lost his job or his place to live, and looking to you to help him out so he can get back on his feet… and those examples are very tame to what else he could do and look to you for. Addicts don’t typically ask for help from people who have held them accountable for their actions; they go to the ones who will continue to give them a soft place to land and who they know they can manipulate.

I really wish you and your kids absolutely the best. There are great men out there who will love and respect you just because you are who you are.

Take care.