View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ksos
Waiting For Engines

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
I'm on Topamax for my anxiety. It's used off label and it's helping. I'm able to sleep through the night most of the time. I also have 1/4 mg xanax for times when my anxiety is really bad. I very seldom use that; only when I'm having a panic attack.
Hi HistoryTeach! I never knew that Topomax was used for anxiety. My "knowledge base" of this medication was that it was an adjunct med prescribed along with a mood stabilizer so that weight gain would not be as extreem as it could be (Please just take this as a layman's opinon, which I know you will~~~). However, I have heard that this medication can cause the leg shakes that you speak about later in this post)

I recently went back on Wellbutrin. I'm on 200mg for depression. Extreem stress brought about due to a work situation.

Anyway, my pdoc and counselors all say that I should go on more meds for anxiety. I am hesitant.
Another non-medical opinion: ) I was on Wellbutrin, which shifted this old codger from serious depression to a full-blown mania. Of course, this is a risk with most anti-depressants when given to folks with Bi-Polar disorder, but HT, I am concerned about the lowered threshold for seizures with this medication. There are so many other "cleaner" anti-depressants, I have heard about. Have you discussed them with your Pdoc? Or is Wellbutrin the one anti-depressant that works for you? For me, Effexor is THE only antidepressant I can tolerate and I know it has a horrific list of possible side effects....

I do not blame you for feeling the way you do about going up an any of these meds. Is your anxiety intolerable right now.

Honestly, these combinations of medications sort of freak me out...

In the past, I was totally stoned out on psyche drugs. I have no intention of going there again. Since I'm already on two anxiety drugs, why would I need any more?
I agree with you, and do not have the answer. The docs and counselors seem to be more enthusiastic that you about this, my friend. I know addiction is a concern, which is why this combination was suggestion, perhaps?

The counselors knew me when I was stoned out and fully understand my concerns. I told the pdoc about it. I doubt she completely understands exactly how stoned out I was - I was unable to function at all, and told to go on disability! But, she is aware; I told her and told her she could talk to my counselors too. At the very least, she is aware of my fears of going back there.

I don't know. I don't *feel* that anxious. But, they are obviously seeing something for all of them to say the same thing. I am crying alot. And I do bounce my leg while I'm sitting. I just don't want to get messed up again. And I'm afraid of that.

Any thoughts?

Shalom!
Teach....

I do not like the feeling I am getting from what your experiences have been with this staff. Any MD who tell you to go on disability rather than explore an alternative method of managing an anxiety problem which, by your admission, is not unmanageable, seems to not be concerned with you as a functioning and productive human being. In my unqualified medical opinion, this MD should have her licensed yanked.

However, you do seem to have possible signs of depression which is evidenced by the crying you mentioned. Of course, I am only a member of this forum, but I am trained in recognizing what words mean in this profession. As someone who cares about you, my first thought would be to get a second opinion from another organization; one who has staff that listen to their patients and that do not push medications down your throat that make you a zombie.

Other thoughts I have concern whether or not the crying is related to a very real situation in your life or is it simply inexplicable to you and appears out of the blue?

I hope you get a second opinion, my friend...