View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brewster

My Sober Time - So far...

I live in a resort town in TN. I am Mechanical Engineer and run a successful plumbing business. Beginning in 2000, after a bad construction site accident, I was introduced into the wonderful world of prescription opiates. Since I know everyone in town, including three pharmicists, my access was essentially unlimited. Further, this part of TN is rife with drug abuse of all kinds. This, plus my willingness, contributed to a substantial oxycontin habit peaking in 2004 to about 4-5 hundred mg a day everyday for about 2 years. I managed to check myself into a wonderful local rehab and turn my life around. Next month, I'll be two years clean.

Around me though, the devastation continues. I began my journey with six other souls. We formed a group, here in town, and for my first year it looked like we might all make it. However, all but one has relapsed. I've watched their lives deteriorate into destruction. Families, houses, businesses gone, in the pursuit of drugs.

I've was detemined to drop out of the drug life and have become stronger in my convictions, but now my heart breaks for the others who have returned to the horrors of addiction. It could've been so right, we could have all made it, though I realize it was not to be. I'm happy to have my family, assets and life still intact. I'm glad that the one soul that has remained with me is still strong with sobriety.

But I have seen talented, bright, people continue to destroy their lives. The toll on their families, this community and no doubt the nation as a whole is almost unmeasurable.

I'm just sick about it. It makes my two year mark, kind of sad in a way, because even though I have finished my part in madness, the opera continues around me. Thanks for letting me vent.