View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Growing
Progress Not Perfection

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post

And just the fact that anything you tell your aunt/uncle seems to get back to your folks tells me that they are not exactly confidential, impartial listeners.
Great post GL!

Absent,

IMHO, I would not be at all open about my parents, how I was raised or anything really personal or recovery related, other than generalized terms, like GL stated, with these relatives in particular. What I did when I was in this situation was to only say things that I was comfortable with my parents knowing....because these relatives are going to tell them anyway.

In the past, I would have held this against my "aunts" or "uncles". But today, I like GL's advice:

"Enjoy their love and support while you're there. Live in the moment and let them talk about what's important to them. Explore new things, have fun, be a part of their life. Your recovery doesn't have to be the focal point of your whole visit, as much as it may be top-of-mind for you. Detachment is getting on with the rest of the joyful things in your life -- maybe this will be a good time to practice it."