View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FightingIrish
problem with authority

When I asked for help I acknowledged a power greater than myself. Turned out that power has been working my entire life...I believe it led me to recovery by getting me arrested twice in three nights (the second time of which I assaulted a cop) just over six months ago.

Before that I mostly spent my drinking hours in my apartment, drinking alone, "not hurting anybody." I am grateful for what happened to me, because I know that, had I not been shocked with that extreme (for me) instance of material unmanageability, I would not come into recovery and probably would have continued along the path I was on and died from alcoholism at age 50 (or before) just like my dad did.

Today I can be of service to another alcoholic by chairing a meeting for the first time like I did 2 1/2 hours ago.

I just completed my fourth step under the guidance of my second sponsor and am doing my fifth on Saturday with my first sponsor (I sort of have two because of logistics and geography). I am not even halfway through and I am already amazed.