View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

I was drunk, several months before I quit. I finished my second fifth of Canadian Club, that day, the night before I stopped. I had been drinking that hard for some time prior to quitting.

There was no ritual "last drunk" involved, just the way my life had deteriorated to that point. I went through withdrawal by myself (NOT RECOMMENED) and after 3 near death days I walked into AA. That was 8 and 1/2 years ago. I still attend 1 to 2 meetings a week and have not relapsed so far.

Did the "last act of stupidity" make getting and staying sober easier? I have no idea, but I do know that AA made the process work and continue to work. Like Nandm, surrender and the 12 steps are my answer to sobriety without a relapse. In my opinion, and that is all it is, it seems very unlikely that what one does just before deciding to change ones life would really make a life change work any better or worse. If getting so drunk that you can't walk brings on sobriety then I should have been stone sober about 25 years sooner than I was!

All this being said, far be it from me to tell others what will or won't work. Sobriety is an individual choice and one that comes when that individual realizes that alcohol no longer is working in their life. By the way, I knew a fellow who thought that he couldn't catch a pass in football games unless he always wore the same socks each game, and he was a damn fine tight end!! It all depends on your view of life I guess.

Congratulations on your time sober.

Jon