View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hevyn
Community Greeter

This too shall pass

I'm on Day 48 and remember clearly Day 7. At that point it's still all so new and so raw - physically and mentally. How can we tell those around us we are in a period of transition - not to be disappointed or expect too much of us? We can't just snap back into shape as if we've had the flu or something. Try as they might, it's just impossible for them to really understand. (I remember when my first husband came out of detox many years ago. How naive I was then! I expected a shiny, happy new person. How appalled I was to see that he was sober, but still miserable and full of despair. I just didn't "get it" back then.) Drying out this time, it was good I was alone alot. I could pace, cry, blast music, watch a movie, frantically type emails to my friends - and of course get on SR. I've gone through many different phases rather quickly, each time thinking, "Is this as good as I'm ever going to feel?!" I promise you the answer to that is NO. It sounds like a cliche, but it truly does get better and better as we come out into the sunshine once again. Don't be impatient with yourself.
Thanks for starting this thread....a very good share. Love, Joanie