Thread: My Mother
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Growing
Progress Not Perfection

Welcome Jenn7788!!!!!! Glad to see you...Glad you reached out and posted.

I agree with everything GiveLove said....you are not alone.

My mom and dad were both violent alcoholics. Mom got sober 11yrs ago and dad passed away in his addiction 2yrs ago. He never saw one healthy sober day.

I lost myself in the quicksand of my mom and dads problems. I was confused and I didn't know how to care for myself or my needs.

I seperated myself...moved away...and now I am creating a life of my own with some real peace and joy in it...for once. It took time...alanon and acoa meetings for some years...and a major slip (where I moved close to home and tried to "make it work" again...total disaster)...to get me where I am today...so please be patient with yourself. You are actually doing the hardest part right now...becoming aware and reaching out. We are here for you!

What to do? Just keep coming back here to SR...Hang out here or in friends and family...or both...like GiveLove suggested. Over time you will learn how to take care of yourself and you will be your #1 priority. It doesn't mean you have to stop loving or caring for your parents...we just learn to detach in love. We learn how to love them constructively...but we don't "hang ourselves out to dry" anymore. All in time.

Keep us posted!