Thread: I'm New
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Ermine, AA saved my life, your journey I would imagine will be a bit tougher then mine has been due to where you are. Here is a link to the 12 step forum here at SR, a lot of good folks there as there are here and in the alcoholism forum where I hang out quite a bit. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/

A sponsor I found was one of the keys in my sobriety and working the steps, it sounds as though you are pretty limited in choices of sponsors where you are at and being a lady does not make it easier because I am guessing there are very few ladies in the program where you are at.

I would highly reccommend asking someone to be your "Temporary" sponsor to start out, a lady if possible. Experience through the years in AA has found that men with men and ladies with ladies to be better as far as sponsorship.

That is not cast in stone though, if there are no ladies that sponsor others then a lady with a man is okay as long as the man and the woman both agree that it is strictly a sponsor/sponsee relaationship.

In my area years ago there was a huge shortage of ladies in AA and as a result men did sponsor ladies, but once there were enough ladies to sponsor other ladies that changed.

As you work the steps with a sponsor you will see that the best way to work them is in order because one really needs a good grasp of step one before going on to step 2. Many times when someone is having a hard time with a step it is found that by reworking the prior step it helps with the one they are having problems with.

Going to meetings helps a lot, but I have found that the miracle happens through the steps and not meetings alone. Thanks to the steps my obsession/need to drink has been lifted, it is gone and as long as I maintain a fit spiritual condition by living the steps to the best of my ability it will remain gone.

Once again welcome to SR, ask anything you wish, and share what you can.

BTW I am Martin and I am an alcoholic.