View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

I Pray pretty much the way Impurrfect described,but I have a morning routine as well. I used to pray immediately after I woke up.Now, I just simply ask God, "Please."( Please, help me get through this day without picking up, without hurting anyone and to do the right thing throughout the day) As far as my morning routine, I do it in the car while my Son is driving on the highway. It terrifies me in the morning, everyone is in a hurry, winter time, lots of snow and ice. We get on the highway about a mile or so from our apt. As soon as we hit the entrance ramp, I tell my Son "it's check in time." He knows this means to not be complaining out loud about the other drivers, not to try to hold a conversation with me and above all else, do not play some of his more, shall I say, obnoxious music. This started one morning when the highway was snowcovered and it was pretty trecherous out there. I had to get to work, him to class. I closed my eyes as I usually do when in Prayer as to not be distracted and began my normal praying, but with specifics, "God, keep us safe here on our destination, keep those on the roads safe today . . . . I'm a basket case here, help me to calm down . . . . " An enormous sense of peace overwhelmed me. Before I knew it, we were at our destination. Normally, I'm taking my seat belt off before we pull in the parking lot. I'm ready to get OUT of the car. I'm generally so stressed. However, this morning was different. I almost didn't want to get out of the car. I felt too safe, secure, warm and protected. I realized that this was a fantastic feeling I wanted to experience every morning as I begin my day. I Pray for those I love, especially if someone is going through a particularly tough time.

Throughout the day, I speak to God many, many times. Simple, thank you's for small things, please help me to maintain my cool when I begin to feel stressed . . . . I talk to God like I talk to others in my life. When I'm at home with just me and the cat, I usually talk to God outloud. I also find myself doing this when my Son is here. If I'm reaching for something in the frig and almost knock over the bowl of soup my son didn't put the lid on I have a "good save", the soup isn't all over me, inside the frig and on the floor, I'll say "thank you God." If I look out the window and see just how beautiful the snow does look, I thank Him. If I'm just sitting there, being grateful for my Son being here with me, even though he's in the living room playing Guitar Hero with the surround sound on, feeling as though I'm being bombed by the bass pounding, I still say thanks. One evening my Son and his girlfriend were watching a movie in another room.I was in my bedroom doing something and I don't even remember why I said thank you and I heard his girlfriend whisper, "Who is your Mom talking to?" as though she was concerned I was going a bit crazy. Brandon just said to her,"Ah, she's cool. Don't worry. I don't have to anymore." I realized then that not only does my Son not worry about me anymore in the ways he used to but I guess I Pray alot more than I realized.

At night, I say thank you. I thank God for helping me to stay Clean & Sober one more day. I also thank Him for keeping my loved ones safe. And again, for someone who may being going through a tough time or add extra thanks for another Blessing that came my way, or someone elses way that day.

Like the others said, Praying is YOUR contact with YOUR HP. There is no right or wrong way. However you are comfortable.

:praying