View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

((((Obsessed)))))

Sending you lots of hugs and prayers.

The more I read this thread, the more I realize that the A's and the people who love them have a lot in common. You wrote that you are having a hard time accepting that she is an addict....we A's don't accept it for a long time, either...we think we can quit when we want, we just don't want to!

I don't know that my dad accepts that I am an addict yet (even though I'm in recovery). He will use the word "addict" only because I do. He chooses to blame everything I did on my XABF...it's too difficult for him to accept that I did them to get drugs. But even though he doesn't understand it or accept it, he still put boundaries in place and held his ground....and for that I'm very grateful. I'm glad that he realized that HIS life was worth more than getting sucked into my drama and chaos.

Lauren knows you love her - she takes that for granted. What she doesn't realize is that you can love her but still take care of yourself and step back from her chaotic life. You are the only one that can show her that. I'm sure, that at first she will do everything she can think of to guilt you into enabling her...ask the other moms here, they've been through it.

I talked to my friend, last night, who was a meth addict. She was raised by her granny (mom in prison for meth) and granny was a huge enabler. Desirae said that it wasn't until she got into something that granny couldn't get her out of (getting locked up, which is where we met), that she decided the consequences weren't worth the meth. She's 24 years old and has been doing drugs since she was 12....hasn't done meth in over a year. She is a convicted felon and on probation for 12 years.

I hope that you will realize that Lauren's addiction does not have to take you down. The best thing you can do for her and you is to let her deal with her own stuff and go on with your life.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Amy