View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
St_Kurt
cunning. baffling. powerful.

Originally Posted by brobo View Post
I think I might be showing signs of Cirrhosis. I have pains on the right and left lower back, black stools, a little nausea.
** I wrote this before I looked again and saw you were taking iron. Black stools is also seen with iron supplementation as well as taking a lot of Pepto Bismol. This doesn't change the fact that I'm pleased you've got a doctor appointment on Thursday. **

Here's my post unchanged FWIW:

I am a 3rd year medical student and the symptoms you are describing lead me to believe you should see a doctor sooner rather than later. Carol is correct that an ER would not be inappropriate.

Black stools, or "melena" are often a sign of lower intestinal bleeding and can signal very serious illness. Melena can be a sign of anything from something you ate or drank to ulcers to cancer to liver and renal failure. Without a diagnostic work up there is no way to know which it is.

The bilateral lower back pain that you are describing is more likely related to your kidneys than your liver (or it might be muscular, but there's no way to know over the internet). Though people focus on liver issues with alcoholism, renal failure is an equally common sequela. If you are finding yourself excessively thirsty and/or urinating along with these symptoms - that's very concerning to me.

So, what I'm basically saying is that some of your signs and symptoms (melena and possible retroperitoneal pain with a history of alcoholism) are the kind that need to be worked up. They might mean nothing, but they are also seen with some very serious conditions. I would urge you to see your doctor and be very honest about your drinking history when you describe how your are feeling.

All the best.
~SK

Last edited by St_Kurt; 02-26-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: New s*** had come to light!