Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

There was a time when I used to dread AA meetings. I wasn't good with people, I had social anxiety's, it seemed like everyone knew each other. So slowly but surely I stopped going. First it dropped from a meeting every day to 5 a week, then 3, then I was going 2 weeks at a crack without hitting a meeting.
Then I got drunk and like the old timers said "I got enough pain" to be willing to go to any lengths.
So I went back, and it still wasn't easy. But I kept going back, like they say to do, and I'm not sure when it happened, but at some point I started looking forward to going to meetings. It wasn't a chore, my people were there and that's where I went to see them. Now I look forward to it. When I see that guy standing off to the side in the parking lot, not talking to anyone, trying not to be noticed I go and say hello. Because I know what it was like to be him.

Now you probably have your own reasons, like the sunshiney unicorny people. It almost sounded like a resentment.
In my experience, one of the main reasons I resent people is because I'm jealous, because they have something that I find lacking in myself that I consider to be a fundamental flaw in me as a person.

Have you done your 4th/5th step? Might help here, it did with me.

Again that's my experience.

Try becoming part of the group. Pick a home group, one you feel comfortable at that sticks to the solution and take a service commitment there. Then when you've finished that commitment take on another.

Try to get people your age to go out for coffee or a bite to eat before/after the meeting.

Show up a half hour early and leave a half hour after the meeting is over.

This is what worked for me.