View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
resistra

between people whose problems come from alcohol and those who turn to alcohol. Broken after or broken first?
I've always wondered a few things about this - and in years (years way) past...

I didn't get the habit to drink every night because of things in step 4 - I drank every night because I was alone and it sure was a lot more interesting way to be alone. That could be broke before? Loneliness? Depression? Nope, just bored and ah yes, I did use it to sleep for sure - but why can't I sleep? Step 4 issue? I've never been able to sleep very well unless I have a bit of physical activity in the day - but I'm a computer guy with little of that so no help there either.

Broke after talk (ha!): Who me? An alcoholic? not! I can quit anytime I want to! Well I could, but what for? haha! This is such a strained argument that is akin to a truck driving up its own tailpipe. So, I figure it's a lot easier just saying 'yes self, you're an alcoholic' and get over it than to figure out why... what the heck, I was buzzed this time last week and no problems other than having to wake up late in the day, lose a lot of good hours of productive work time and stagger around the house the first few hours trying to get revived with coffee and aspirin. (Wow what a wonderful life that is every day!) Ughh. That gets old.

Fast forward a number of years and I've made a lot of changes, new relationship, jobs, etc... and the old behavior won't cut it any longer. So I have to quit. Now is the time that I think I can safely say that I'm an alkie and get over my own egotistical barriers to recovery. After all this time I'm probably just broke in both places.

Lol.