Old 02-26-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

I'm so sorry that you are facing these difficulties. It breaks my heart. It also sounds somewhat similar to my experiences many years ago. After divorcing my drug using, alcohol abusing husband 24 years ago, I tried to keep my finances in order. I took all of our debt in the divorce and only asked for $200/ month in child support (I had a 1-1/2 year old son). Of course, the ex didn't pay the child support and I made too much money for public assistance but not enough to live. I lost the house through foreclosure.

That was extremely painful at the time. I was so deeply wounded by the divorce and what I considered my own failure at trying to keep the house. The most important thing though is that I survived! I lived through it. The world didn't end. My life went on.

Sometimes our problems at the moment seem so very overwhelming and I'm sure that this is how you feel right now. Concentrate on you right now. You can't wish him sober. He has to do it. But you can control yourself and your own environment.

An alcoholic is poisoning their body every time they pick up a bottle. The toxic fallout that they create around them contaminates everything, including you. Protect yourself from his pollution. When you start doing what is healthy for you, you give him the best chance of getting sober. But most importantly, you feel better.

gentle hugs