View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 11:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

I have actually pondered your question myself. Was it my alcoholism that caused my living problems or was it my living problems that caused my alcoholism? I still haven't come to any answer I find 100 either way. IMHO it is a combination of both factors. But regardless the problem still remains "how to live without drinking and not be insane?"

For me the obsession to drink was lifted fairly quickly once I quit drinking. My problem is that although the obsession may have been lifted I still had no clue how to live without drinking. I was in a constant state of depression, had difficulty making decisions, felt uncomfortable in my own skin, had a significant amount of anxiety, and all sorts of other maladies.

The solution that has worked for me has been working the program of AA. The Steps of AA have helped me with the "how to live without drinking" question. Today, I have the tools to feel comfortable in my own skin. Yes, I have days that are not so good but overall today I have serenity and happiness in my life and the days that don't seem to be going well I have to tools to make better.

If you have any interest in learning more about the program of AA or the steps here is a link to that section of our forum. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/step-study/