View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Growing
Progress Not Perfection

Designer...I hope you will keep checking out meetings because that one DOES sound like a dud. I didn't know meetings could go this bad sometimes....I am so sorry.

SR is good in its own way and its the same with ftf meetings. I have found that people are more detailed and honest, in some respects, here at SR because you never even have to SEE eachother.

Alanon ftf meetings are different because, IMHO, people are more motivated to be kind and compassionate because you are actually looking at the person in question. It is easier in ftf meetings to SEE that people care...even people who may not even speak to you...you can see the understanding in their eyes. Plus...you get to talk to each other before and after the meetings. Alanon is a great place to make friends...where you go out for coffee or whatever...ect.

Alanon and acoa meetings fill a void for me that can't be filled any other way...because...as an acoa I find it difficult at times to mingle with the rest of society freely and unselfconsciously...alanon and acoa meetings give me a healthy outlet for friendly connections.

Plus...you just can't beat getting those hugs! They made me uncomfortable at first...I never really was a "huggy" type of person....but I learned to trust...and I learned to support people...and now these healthy situations feel more comfortable to me now...I will never forget the first time someone asked me for a hug....a whole new world for me. I hope that doesn't sound too weird.

But with SR...IMHO, I have found a certain "caliber" of people that I don't see in ftf meetings so often....there are actual many, many "Recovery Super-Stars" here at SR. That makes SR very special.