View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
skinnyninja

Sugerspun is right on the money, thanks for all the insights.

Now someone could set a beer in front of me and crack the top and push it into my hand....I can look down at the beer and i have a choice. I can choose to drink it or I can walk away. I might be powerless over alcohol, but I'm sober, and I have the power to avoid the first drink. I can walk away today. I have regained the power of choice over the first drink through recovery.

But also, about 7 years ago early in my recovery, I crossed a line. That line represents my spiritual awakening (for me anyway). What it was, was the realization that I had made it through an entire day without thinking about drinking. That was an awakening. That was the miracle, for me. That was the shift in personality sufficient enough to overcome the problem of drink.

And so now, like sugerspun pointed out, I am no longer FACING the choice every day. I didn't wake up today and say "Should I drink today?" The obsession has been lifted! I don't even have to wrestle with the choice most of the time. That is the gift of recovery....that the obsession has been lifted and I can live my life again!

God bless you all, great topic!