View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sugErspun

The twelve steps, the stairway to the real work if you will (helping others, carrying the message of recovery) - and my experience with them (and it was an experience, not an intellectual exercise through which I gained some knowledge and now I 'know better')

I only made one decision (only once I was told to make a choice). I think this is intentional. It was the third step.

No other steps involve choice.

1. I did not choose to believe I am powerless and life is unmanageable - I admitted it was the truth of my condition and situation
2. I did not choose to believe that a power greater than myself could restore me to the ability to think straight and give me back some proportion. I saw it had worked in others and was out of other options.
3. I choose to leave my way of doing things behind. Whatever happens from now on, I don't get to take credit for it.
4. Did not choose to take inventory - just did it.
5. Shared that inventory
6. Was ready to be rid of it
7. Humbly asked the powers that be to remove that which blocks my usefullness to others.
8. Made a list of who, what and How I caused HARM
9. Made ammends for that HARM - directly
10. Continued to be accountable.
11. Pray and Meditate
12. Carry the message because something happened in the previous 11.

Only one involves choice.

But- that being said, I can see how after restoration to sanity, one could see that things are pretty much the same, and that by not being 'driven to drink' they are making the choice.

For myself - once I gave up my will and my life- I don't get to take credit. Only through God am I not drinking, nothing short of it.

Thank all for posting, I truly enjoy these threads.