Thread: My Dad
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceteach

I'm so sorry for your loss, Dayla. Sixty is so young for a father to go, and you will miss him so much, I know. It's really nice that you loved him and he loved you! This disease of alcoholism is a tricky one, but a lot of people just never quit, no matter what pain they are in. I don't know the statistics, but it does often lead to death. We have learned that it is only by the alcoholic that a change can be made regarding his drinking. But you do have the power to change something else, Dayla. As children of alcoholics, the sooner we realize that WE need to keep our focus on US instead of others who make wrong choices, we find hope again in life, happiness in our present and dreams for our future. We also are much more aware of the dangers of drinking and our susceptibility to being addicted ourselves, or more likely to marry a drinker.

That may be too much to digest this early in your mourning of your father and the acceptance of his death. Just try not to hang on to the emotion of guilt for too much longer. It's a totally unnecessary feeling that we bring upon ourselves because we couldn't "save" someone. But it doesn't lead to anything productive or positive if we allow it to take over our more positive feelings of joy and love. Gather some wonderful pictures around yourself of you and your dad, talk lovingly of him with a trusted friend or family members, and just take care of you, Dayla. He's at peace now and out of pain, and I'm sure would want the same for you. I'll say a little prayer for you and Dad.