View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LucyA

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
No it's not. The parents are still enabling the 'active' sister. Fed-up refuses to enable her sister and her parents are made at her.

Sometimes this happens.

Fed-up Kermit gave very good advice. Now it is time to 'step back.' Take care of you and your family.

You will get through this!!!!

Love and hugs,
Really fed up, I was in a position similar to yours before I found this forum, my parents basically expected me to baby sit my brother, and I did it, because I live near him I'd go round when my mum phoned crying that something was wrong (there were lots of different things from time to time, obviously) I'd check on him almost every day, I'd report back to my parents about what was going on, where I'd seen him etc. Then something sort of snapped inside me and I just thought what about me? I was ill, depressed, my hair even fell out in a big patch, I started looking for help and ended up here. I realised I have to look after me and my kids, my brother is old enough to look after himself if he wants to, A couple of tearful conversations with my parents and I explained that I'm not turning my back on my brother but looking after my self and my own family is a priority. We didn't speak for a while, and as my parents look after my children when I'm working it was difficult, but it passed. They now understand there are some things I will do and some things I wont do regarding my brother, it was hard getting to this point, but I got here, even now it isn't always easy saying no to my parents, they arent in good health and it sort of tugs my heartstrings refusing to do something they think will ease their minds, but I stick to my guns, and to be honest I actually think they respect me more for doing that, and I also think a little bit of it is rubbing off on them, I see them letting go a little bit.

Look after you first and do what you think is right.