View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
tay-lyn
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

So many with sobriety under their belts tell us 'don't think about the next day or the 'what if's''. But I too dwell on future social events. My hubby and I have a cottage up north and we are surrounded by other cottagers who we've made friends with. We all get together go to the beach, boating, or sit around the fire, and guess what, someone ALWAYS has a drink in hand. I've ALWAYS had a drink in hand. I have been thinking 'how the hell am I going to do this, how am I going to be there with all that drinking and not have one?' I have a family birthday party to go to this weekend, I love getting together with all our family, we're all friends and we all drink a lot together, play board games and have a LOT of laughs. Again, 'how the hell am I going to go to this party with my friends and family all over me with a drink in their hands?'

Bottom line.......I have two options to pick from:

1- I drink and become a sloppy big mouth drunk who makes an ass out of myself, get sick the next day and not remember a thing.

or

2- I tough it out and get to leave the party with self-respect and the respect of others, go home and go to bed sober and remember everything the next day with a warm smile on my face.

That's the bottom line. Simple, I just have to pick one. Which one do you think I choose?