Thread: Feeling Lost
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
hope2bhappy

Originally Posted by GrumpyMel View Post
The one thing she hasn't tried yet, is an in-patient program (i.e. 28 days). That is how she recovered in the past and gotten her 7 years of sobriety. She says she doesn't want to be parted from our son for so long. He is only 5 years old and he has mild autisim. To me this sounds like simply an excuse not to do it....although I do believe that in her mind the emotion is real.
I agree that this is just an excuse. It would be better to miss just 28 days of his life, instead of years. Alcoholics often rationalize and justify continuing with their addiction. "Yeah, but..."

Originally Posted by GrumpyMel View Post
The other day I gave her an ultimatum that I would divorce her and sue for custody of our child if she didn't get serious about treatment... I don't know what to do.
Sounds to me like you know exactly what to do. Be careful about ultimatums, however. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. This is crucial. Otherwise, she will continue to stall any attempt at recovery, knowing that you will always forgive and give in. Keep your boundaries firm.