View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

Thanks SS. For me, the difficulty came with the first 3 words: Made a Decision. There was a time in my life that I was so afraid of doing or saying the wrong thing that I was paralyzed when I had to make a decision. If I was wrong then there was h*ll to pay. It was easier just to acquiesce to my ex... if he made all the decisions then I wasn't going to be held accountable. (Ah, but I was, nonetheless). I had a bit of time in Al Anon before I learned that NOT deciding was still making a decision!

Then I had to decide to turn my will and my life over. I had already done that - TO MY EX ! And look how that had turned out. Wouldn't it be better if I just kept doing things my way? What if I didn't like the outcome? What if what if what if?????

To the care of God as we understood Him? I didnt even like the God of my childhood, let alone TRUST him. Again, it took time in the program before I learned I could fire that God and hire a new one. My sponsor had me look at people I admired - celebrities, others in recovery, family members - and write down the good qualities of each one. She said I should take that list and assign all of those wonderful attributes to my new Higher Power. I did, and it worked. Today I have a loving and wonderful Higher Power with a wicked fun sense of humor.

Step 3 is a big one - but it's worth taking the time.