Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
loriluvs2smile

Insight for dating a recovering alcoholic

I have been dating for 6 months... a 45 year old man that has been sober for 9 yrs. He's sobriety was life or death and he chose to live. He quit on his own with some help of some friends and some meetings... and has not had a slip up in 9 years. He is a wonderful,loving,hard working,dependable man who loves me dearly. This is where I find myself today.

We have great times together alone.... but he has a very hard time socially.
He clams up and gets very quite. We have met friends out to watch a local band at a bar or dinner and drinks with friends. I'm a very social person and find myself being different because of it. Will he ever be comfortable being out socially? He said that he associates having fun with drinking so when put into those situations he just shuts down. Does it ever get easier on either one of us? He is so willing to do anything to make it work and we are very open with each other on how this is effecting us both....Then my other fear is what would it take for him to relaspe if I say I want to break things off...the burden that carries is overwhelming.

Is there anyone out there that can offer any help.