View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
PrettyViolets

Here is a link to an article to being married to an alcoholic:
Married to an Alcoholic: 7 Steps to Helping Them Get Sober

Here are some excerpts of this article:
1. Stop trying to get your husband/wife to stop drinking.

No matter how much you nag and complain at them to stop drinking, it is not going to do a bit of good. What will is taking care of you. I know, it sounds backwards, but when you’re emotionally stressed out, it will be more difficult to help your loved one. You have no verbal power over the alcoholic. What you do have control over is your actions. What you do and say to the alcoholic will have a direct effect on whether or not they will continue drinking or not.

4. Do not enable the alcoholic

Don’t help the alcoholic by enabling their addictive behavior. Don’t help them to bed. Don’t let them drive while drinking. Do not let them argue, fuss or fight with you while they are drinking. Do not talk to them, leave the house or room and shut and lock the door behind you. Do not buy them alcohol, even if they beg you to. Don’t let them drive! Don’t treat them any differently because they have a drinking problem. Don’t give them any special attention while they are drinking.

I have found that Al Anon is very helpful. And I like the book Getting Them Sober. This book has been recommended by other people on Soberrecovery.