Old 01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
alberta

Originally Posted by theonlyway View Post
I still don't "like" the idea of admitting I'm an alcoholic, but I like the idea of addressing the problem... I still don't "like" the idea of never drinking again, but I like the idea of not drinking today... I still don't "like" the idea of passing on what has been a "good time", but I'm liking waking up without a hang-over and regrets...
Wow! That really spoke to me.

I'm on day one (again!) Over the past couple of years I've had long sober periods, punctuated with short, but fairly "wet" ones. The shortest sobriety I had was 2 months. That was the last one, and the only one that I did with AA. Odd, eh? Part of it was the never drinking again bit. Thanksgiving rolls around and that red wine was so civilized.... and here I am again.

The AA experience was good in some ways (dug having a place to go) but I honestly cannot relate to the Big Book! :-/ (Hope I don't offend anyone) It just doesn't describe me really and the language is, well, old-fashioned. Someone mentioned the NA book and I just read parts here and, while it does say the same things, it says them in a way that I "get." Problem is, I don't use drugs...

Then there is ACA....which is really where my core issue is. I come from a long line of Alcoholics and Children of them...and I am hopelessly codependent. (i.e., I can't let go of people even if they are unhealthy...like when I wasn't drinking my drinking friends were still wrapping their lips around bottles of booze in MY HOUSE (coming over with it) and I couldn't say "get that outta here." I just sat and felt angry and like drinking!!)

Soo where to go, who to be ... :-) Here is a good start.

Thanks for listening.
A