View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bigsheffy

Newbie and My father won't speak to me

I never thought I would ever say that I am a child of an alcoholic. My father has developed into a alcoholic over the past 2 years. Now he is isolated himself from our whole family. He drinks all day, and sometimes drives intoxicated. I have learned how to be the lost child at family functions. My mother until just recently has been an enabler. She has just recently done some research of her own and and admitted my father is an alcoholic.

I have become so upset, that I reached out to my extended family. My uncle and my grandfather have confronted my father. Now he will not speak to me. I am so mad at him, but at the same time can not shake the guilt. I have remained strong, and have my boyfriend and tons of family support. I just am so scared that my father is going to die. He has not gone to the Dr in two years. He is always red in the face and complains about aches and pains. He try's to quit, but after a few days starts again. He has now switched to vodka, and is drinking cups of it at night.

I guess I just need some support on how to deal with the guilt and shame. I am new to the forum, and have decided to try and go to a Alanon meeting, however, I am scared to death. I am trying to create my own family, my boyfriend is a big support for me. My sister, bf, and I are now trying to form our own family, so that we are not alone during family functions.

I guess my question is, should I try to talk to him? Should I put myself through more hell?