View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DaveFLBrn

Unhappy I need help...badly.

Hello everyone this is my first time here.

I was taking Darvocet for the last 5 years for chronic back pain due to Scrolious. I had surgery for at when I was 18, however the back pain actually got worse for me. Just after this Christmas I ran out of my prescription about a week early. I decided to go to the ER (with a wonderful blizzard to help with the mood) and try to get some help with Withdrawals. The doctor there gave me a drug called Clonadine in pill form and also the same drug in the form of a patch that lasts for 7 days. They also gave me Phenergan for nausea, Bentyl for abdominal cramps, and Valium for muscle spasms. He also set me up with an appointment two days later at 7:30 am to see someone for the outpatient program at a local mental hospital which also doubles as an alcohol and drug rehab center.

I had been taking the drugs they gave me at the hospital, but I felt like crap, all I did was sleep, not wanting to do anything else. However, I got my butt over to the rehab center at 7:30 am, even though it there was a severe snow storm (Again, heh), and spoke with a woman who told me that she felt I needed to be put on Methadone. I asked her how long I'd have to take this drug until I got off the crap completely, she told me 8-9 years. I told her that just wouldn't work for me having to go there every single day, especially at that time just to get another dose of Methadone. I would be in my mid to late 30s before I got off this crap? Impossible! I still feel that's ridiculous.

There was nothing else she could help me with so I went back to the ER. While I was waiting to see someone I finally worked up the the courage to call my doctor and informed him on what was happening, because I felt like crap and couldn't take it anymore. The receptionist at his office told me he'd squeeze me in so I got out of the ER and ran to my doctor's. I saw him and he was concerned how much Darvocet I was taking, which of course has 650 mg of Acetaminophen in each pill. I was by the end taking 10-12 pills a day. I was allowed by my doctor to take 6 darvocets a day. This wasn't the first time I ran out early, however I found other drugs, usually Percocet , to help me until I could refill my prescription, but not this time.

So....he takes me off Darvocet, and puts me on Vicodin 4 pills daily.

When I was at the ER the first time I decided I wanted off these drugs completely, however I need help, more help then just detoxing at home. I need to be inpatient for at least a week, something the doctor at the E.R told me they don't do anymore because narcotic withdrawals aren't life threatening. Hmmm...I could have sworn I've heard of people being hospitalized for narcotic detox in the past. Wasn't Britney Spears?

Anyway, I find myself between a rock and a hard place. I have no support at home to help me with this. I'm asking for help, but they refuse to give me the help I want, I need. Take Methodone for the next 8 years, having to go there once a day to get my dose, or take Vicodin, get a month supply and at least function with my daily life. I'm sorry to say for right now I choose the latter.

Is there any place facility that will take a someone and detox them in a hospital?

Sorry for the long read. I'm just at my wits end here.

-Dave