View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hope2bhappy

Originally Posted by Alice Kate View Post
Lately work and life has gotten on top of him, along with his fears, insecurities in his job, about his future, his own feelings of inadeqacy etc, and he started drinking again.
We can't make excuses for them or for why they drink. I've had some really rough patches in my own life, but I didn't start drinking over them. Most of us face life and our problems stone, cold sober. He drinks to excess because he is an alcoholic. Period.

I still constantly ask myself, how could this happen. We were so in love and so so happy, how can he not see what he is so easily,it seems, giving up...How can he just let me go, when I know he loves me so much, more than anyone else in the world.
His drinking has nothing to do with you, or what he feels for you. He has let you go because he needs to drink. You have let him go, because you couldn't live that way, and he wouldn't change for you.

Does he even think about what he has lost, and the huge void he told me he had in his life when we first broke up. Does he even think about whats not there anymore, or is he so consumed by the alcohol that he doesn't give it a second thought anymore.
Maybe. But his need to drink is greater than his need to be with you. This is out of his control. It's not personal.

They have sober moments right, like in the morning when they wake up, as they are not drinking 24hrs a day, so how does reality not set in then, and make them realize?
As long as he is an active alcoholic, every moment of his life (sober or drunk) is spent thinking about that next drink.

I have been going to al-anon for 2 months now and seeing a therapist.
Keep it up. Spend your time learning to change circumstances and people you can control -- your own and yourself.

((()))