View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I really don't believe that AA has a high recovery rate. I have attended many, many meetings and found that many people continue to struggle with sobriety while in AA. These are just my observations.
Just out of curiosity, is there any recovery program that does not have people in it who struggle with sobriety? One can find fault with any program. The bottom line is there are many different recovery programs out there. None have a higher success rate than AA although some may be equal to it. There are many out there that are just after your money. There are some out there that make the outrageous claim they are a cure. Regardless. There is no one size fits all program of recovery. It is up to the individual to decide what one they are willing to put the work into.

AA happens to be the program that works for me. I did try others prior to AA. They did not work for me. But that does not mean they will not work for someone else nor does that mean that they have a bad success rate. I can not base that on my personal success or failure within that program. The difference for me was AA was a program that I could apply to every aspect of my life, just as I did my drinking. It is also a program that helped me release the guilt, resentment, and shame that helped keep me drinking. It is a program that has taught me how to not only treat myself but others. It is a program that has allowed me to be happy, joyous, and free. I am grateful for it as it literally saved my life.