View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sleepygoat

Speaking as a recovering addict and a former smoker - Jeesh, I hate these no-smoking rehabs. Some of them are entirely non-smoking which has more to do with insurance on the facility than on any "treatment modality". I know this is something that non-smkers just don't get (If she really wanted recovery she would not smoke, etc).

but the trouble is, she got kicked out and instead of feeling good she is feeling like a failure and a screw-up (which in fact she it, according to their rules which she did in fact break.) I would suggest encouraging her to hook up with NA meetings ASAP - where she will be encouraged and actually applauded for staying clean and nothing more (and smoking is OK for the forseeable future). In my experience, getting involved in meetings and the other recoving addicts there is the key to whether they make it or not on the outside.

Learning how to follow the rules and to stop rebelling at everything is something that takes a while to learn. Encouragement for what we do right is always a motivator, at least for me.