View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

Thank you for all the replies. Honestly, I didn't expect this much help. I value all responses posted.

I really should be grateful that despite all of the wreckage in my past, I have a loving family (my kids are a true gift from God) that has not given up on me, and an employer that still has confidence in my abilities. Thanks to my Creator, I am reasonably healthy & sane and I did not physically hurt anybody in all my years of out of control drinking. If this is a high bottom drunk, then it's a good thing!

At the right time, I will talk to my sponsor about this. I guess more than anything I took it to mean that he was saying "You think you have problems, listen to my story!" I know that this wasn't what he meant. He has told me many times how happy he is for me...that I am quitting drinking now and have fully committed to the first 3 steps (we are working on step 4)...happy that I have a family, career, and that he sees unlimited potential. I guess it is kind of hard to see any kind of positives early in sobriety (still struggling with this a bit but not so bad).

One thing I am trying to do is not take things I cannot control as personal attacks. This ties into my 'need' to have everything go my way and if it doesn't, it upsets me. I cannot obsess over this kind of thing because it really messes with my ability to focus on my sobriety. I can't change overnight but I have to be so careful with my state of mind.

Thanks again everyone. I do have a much better perspective on this matter.

One a funnier note, when I first met my sponsor, I told him that I thought the reason I still had my family & job was because my wife & boss thought I was a nice guy. He looked at me, thought for a moment, and without smiling said "Well, I don't think your a nice guy." He later told me he thought I was "okay". We laughed hard about this and (of course) he had to talk to me about my over-inflated ego! If we can't laugh at ourselves....