View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
ccirider

Originally Posted by ccirider View Post
Most atheists would say to you that atheism is simply a lack of belief in a god, so there was no faith to lose from the beginning.
Originally Posted by KariSue View Post
It IS a lack of belief in God (by definition of the word) so there is no faith to lose.
Hi KariSue:

So we agree on the above.

Originally Posted by ccirider View Post
However, I believe that we all worship someone or something, including atheists, whether it be an inanimate object, ourselves, etc.
Originally Posted by KariSue View Post
BUT the definition of ATHEISM isn't lack of belief in ANYTHING, it's the lack of belief in a DEITY ONLY. Do you see how you're expanding the definition to fit your own beliefs? Atheists believe in many things. Just not deities. I can't think of anything I worship. I'm an atheist.

I don't think that I am expanding the definition at all. I am merely making a distinction between believing and worshipping. People can believe in the existence of a God and choose not to worship that God, such as deists do. Similarly, some people can engage in self-worship while at the same time deny that they are doing anything of the sort. They have become gods, de facto, yet they deny the existence of any gods. I am not saying that you are worshipping yourself. I am just saying that it is possible for one to do so and deny it.