View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
leogirl

Just moved in with my recovering bf

He is a recovering alcohlic and coke addict. I believe he has been clean and sober for 5 years (before we started dating). I have no other family members or close friends who suffer from addiction. It took a long time for me to feel comfortable with him and his demons. My judgmental mom told me to stay away from him, why would I want to be with someone who had such problems? Needless to say I didn't listen to her and we have been together for 3 years. It's been difficult at times, but the wonderful times outweigh the bad.

I've accepted that his recovery is an ongoing process and he will never be cured. Still, he is just an extremely difficult person to get along with. Moving in together just put a magnifying glass up to the parts of his personality that I just can't comprehend. He told me to get a book on living with an addict, but I'd figured I should start here to look for support.

The magnitude of what he has to deal with kind of overwhelms me at times. I can't imagine how difficult it is for him.

Will he always be this angry and argumentative and defensive? He argues like it's a sport. Will he ever take care of his health? He'd rather let his teeth rot out of his head than actually go to a dentist. Is it because he thinks his teeth aren't worth taking care of? He says he doesn't mind if I keep booze in the house. Should I throw it out anyway? If anyone has any good pointers /advice/books on living with an addict, I would greatly appreciate it.