View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nodrinkingzone
Fighting the good fight

^^ oh LOL!!!

I have been wrestling with these concepts for many years, and I've kinda made up my own personal world-view over that time. I'd be interested to know if anyone else feels the same way.

First, I believe that the universe operates on a probablity/possibility matrix that carries through infinite universes, based on the probability of something happening.

Second, I believe that there is a force at work in the larger universe that we are unable to measure, calculate, explain or understand. This force is connected to gravitational force exerted on galaxies by other galaxies, black holes, convergent suns, sea-turtle homing impulses, fluid dynamics of storms (on a terrestrial and galactic level) etc... there's no way that we'll be able to understand the influence of everything on everything else. The force could well be simply the inter-connectedness of all things.

I reckon that this is what people call God, or Allah, or Jesus etc... I think it's all the same thing. Perhaps it's matter vs. dark matter, or the force of creation vs. the force of destruction, or just a constant brushing of endless possibility. I think it is that force, or energy, on a universal scale, that people worship - every culture in the world.

I feel connected to the universe, but since I have never had any religious training or education, I can't personify it. I am pretty confident though, that when I smile at the sky and smell autumn leaves or a sea breeze, or share a smile, that I am connected to the universe in a way that feels spiritual to me.

As a result, I have always loved talking to people about their faith, for a number of reasons. I have many issues with organised religion, as I think it is mostly used as a tool for control and power, but I have no problem with someone's personal belief in something greater than them - infinity is a big number! I think it's important to feel like we are part of the universe. I also know that the basic tenets of all of the major religions are very similar at their core, and they all contain a (generally) good prescription for a happy life.

I've been off my face for ages, and I have felt very disconnected from the universe at times. I look forward to learning more about eastern religious beliefs and philosophies, as they seem to be based on personal growth and development, where a lot of the western religions seem to be more about inhibiting certain behaviour.

hmmm... gosh that's a lot of rambling!